Origin and Health Benefits of Delicious Curry Chicken.
Chicken curry aka curry chicken is a Caribbean dish. This typical curry consists of chopped onion, tomatoes, chili peppers, garlic, ginger and chicken along with some spices. A variety of spices is added to the curry chicken, such as cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, and turmeric.
In Jamaican culture, cuisine, and history, curry has a special place. A full serving of chicken curry contains almost 210 calories, 12.5 g protein, and 15.4 g fat. With certain health complications, you should consume it in moderation. This meal is loaded with several health benefits like high protein and low cholesterol.
Best Side Dishes for Chicken Curry
The curry chicken tastes great with cucumber salad, rice, naan bread, or pickles. You can serve with cheesy naan or a pillowy naan. Some people like plain rice with curry. If you need something different, you can serve the chicken curry with flavoring rice.
You can’t ignore greens to serve with chicken curry. You can choose spinach, broccoli or cabbage to enhance the flavors of chicken curry.
If you need something tangy and flavorful, you must try spicy pickle with curry chicken. Pickle can enhance the taste of curry sauce. Pickles are an ideal source of probiotic culturing, and these ingredients are healthy for your brain.
Other than traditional pickles, you can consider palm heart, carrot, cauliflower, lime and mango pickles. These are flavored with red chili powder, chili peppers, turmeric, garlic, and onions. Vinegar in the pickle is great to decrease your sugar level and quickly break down carbohydrates.
If you need something cool in side dishes, you can try curd condiment with subtle spice, cucumber, onions, and tomatoes. You can also try fig, orange and beetroot to give it a unique taste. Red onion can provide a citrus touch to curd condiment (raita).
It is time to try delicious curry chicken recipe at home. Here is a simple method for you with easy instructions.
Jamaican Curry Chicken Recipe
Cooking Time: 55 minutes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 2 habanero pepper, slices
- ¼ teaspoon thyme, ground
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (halves), cut into 1.5-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh water
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, Jamaican-style
- ½ teaspoon or more salt, to taste
- 1 chopped tomato
- Heat olive oil in one pan over medium flame, and add thyme, habanero pepper curry powder, garlic, tomato and onion in hot oil. Stir all ingredients for almost 7 minutes until onion turns golden.
- Mix in chicken and cook for nearly 5 minutes to make chicken lightly brown.
- Pour water into the pan and decrease flame to low. Cover this pan and simmer for almost 30 minutes to tender chicken. Season with sufficient salt and serve.